The Foundation was created by Albert O. Wilson, Sr. (1887-1955) in 1952 with the intent of "giving back" through charitable gifting to worthy charities and organizations in the greater Boston area. Special emphasis would be given to the City of Cambridge where he was born, grew up, was educated, and where his business, The A. O. Wilson Structural Company, was founded and flourished.
The Foundation is dedicated to the continuation of the charitable legacy of Albert O. Wilson and his family by supporting carefully screened non-profit organizations dedicated to:
• assisting people in need because of poverty, ignorance, homelessness, deprivation, or natural disaster
• enhancing quality of life for all people through focus on education, programs for youth, health care, medical research, environmental awareness and support
• supporting worthy educational institutions through endowment as well as scholarships and financial aid
• nurturing and supporting the arts and valuable cultural institutions
• historic and community preservation and education
The Foundation is currently carried on by family members and close associates.